Saturday 28 May 2005

Peace breaks out in Edinburgh

I went for my lunchtime pint (or two) and, as usual for a Saturday, was looking forward to quietly reading my copies of the Mail, Scotsman, Glasgow Herald and Financial Times. Just like everyone else in a typical Scottish pub.

Err, not quite. First there was the usual weekend hen party, complete with pink cowboy (girl?) hats. Then there was a large group of males who were probably from the same part of the world judging by one of the tee shirts, which displayed the memorable message: "Hartlepool – Hanging Monkeys".

Next we had the domestic contingent. Joining me at my table was a young man wearing one of those damnably annoying wristbands – in this case maroon and white. I was trying to work out which bizarre political campaign he was supporting when I noticed the small print: “Heart of Midlothian”. He was accompanied by a chav-attired friend sporting a Rangers Football Club tattoo. Fair enough: Hearts and Rangers are soul brothers, so to speak. Enter an elderly, more-or-less toothless gentleman wearing a Celtic tee shirt, Celtic scarf praising both the bhoys and the Pope, a St Christopher’s medallion, a silver cross, an Irish tricolour badge, three green wristbands and Celtic rings on fingers of each hand. He looks round the bar for someone to talk to and picks the die-hard Rangers fan. Within a few minutes they are the best of friends with pints and nips flowing. When Celtic go one-up against Dundee United in the Cup Final the comradeship continues even as the elderly gentleman is praising the blessed Virgin Mary and the apparently even-more blessed Martin O’Neil. At this point I make my excuses and leave. After all, I may have been observing the modern equivalent of one of those football games played on the front line at Christmas 1914. Who knows what followed later.

1 comment:

David Farrer said...

Comments made on previous template:

JoannaF
Stuart - Funny you mention the Mail but not the Herald or Scotsman. You are more likely to see someone in Scotland reading the Daily Mail simply because it sells far more copies than the Herald or Scotsman. 
 
And can we take it that given you haven't been in a Scottish pub for a while you don't actually live in this country?

5 June 2005, 11:35:22 GMT+01:00
– Like – Reply





David Farrer
Tell me, what's you favorite brand of beer/ale? 
 
As Stuart pointed out I have confessed to enjoying Tennant's lager - a Glasgow brew. I do like real beer but must say that I prefer the southern-style ones that are more hoppy and without the creamy head that one gets in Scotland and the north of England. When living in London I usually drank Fuller's London Pride, but also appreciated Young's Special (another London brew) and Adnam's (from Suffolk). The best one up here that is widely available is Caledonian Eighty Shilling.

29 May 2005, 11:46:37 GMT+01:00
– Like – Reply





David Farrer
"... everyone else in a typical Scottish pub..." was looking forward to quietly reading copies of the Daily Mail and the Financial Times?  
 
That was an attempt at irony there!

29 May 2005, 11:23:29 GMT+01:00
– Like – Reply





Stuart Dickson
"... everyone else in a typical Scottish pub..." was looking forward to quietly reading copies of the Daily Mail and the Financial Times? Are you absolutely sure about that. 
 
It may be a while since I crossed the threshold of a Scottish pub, but peoples' reading habits must have changed dramatically in that space of time. 
 
Face it David, you have a rather ideosyncratic choice of reading material. As do I. I read Freedom and Whisky!

29 May 2005, 08:40:46 GMT+01:00
– Like – Reply





Stuart Dickson
David has already informed us: Tennant's Lager! 
 
http://www.haloscan.com/comments/farrer/111609932296915394/#231813

29 May 2005, 08:35:34 GMT+01:00
– Like – Reply





Ben Jones
Nice site David, 
I am a life long libertarian myself. I also appreciate a good pint and single-malts when available. Tell me, what's you favorite brand of beer/ale?

28 May 2005, 22:07:43 GMT+01:00