Friday 21 January 2005

Libertarian praises government expenditure! Sort of.

The great economist Ludwig von Mises opposed almost all government expenditure but reputedly made an exception for the Vienna Opera House. I proclaim this to be the Freedom and Whisky exception:
Efforts to secure the future of Robert Burns' birthplace have gained cross-party support at Holyrood. It comes as £50,000 has been awarded to the Burns National Heritage Park in Alloway, Ayrshire.
When we consider how many millions have been squandered by the Executive it does seem extraordinary that Burns Cottage has been allowed to fall into disrepair.

An appropriate long-term solution has been identified:

The Scottish National Party's Adam Ingram, who led a members' debate, feels the bard needs national protection and wants to see the management of an expanded Burns Centre handed to the National Trust.
I think that's right and would encourage readers to join the National Trust for Scotland. (Incidentally, you can join the NTS for £33 and still get to visit National Trust properties in England whereas if you join the English body it costs you £36! I learned this from my mother who lives in England but is Scottish.)

1 comment:

David Farrer said...

Comments made on previous template:

Stuart Dickson
No. 
 
Considering my expanded waistline I think that you may have noticed a large man clinging onto a rope in the corner of your meeting room.

22 January 2005, 08:24:00 GMT
– Like – Reply





Bill (Scotland)
Stuart 
 
I think that this perception is one they have begun to realise exists and attempts are being made to change it, but it will probably take a long time to do. Curiously that was one of the topics discussed at the recent conference, too (were you a fly on the wall? - lol).

21 January 2005, 23:38:09 GMT
– Like – Reply





Stuart Dickson
Bill 
 
Your recollected statistic does not surprise me. 
 
The NTS seem to go out of their way to promote themselves as elitist, arrogant and distant. 
 
As you know, Scots just love those three attributes.

21 January 2005, 23:06:01 GMT
– Like – Reply





Bill (Scotland)
I have been a member of the NTS for quite a long time (since before I became a teenager, in fact) and have to agree that its involvement in the Burns Cottage project is a pretty valid use of its resources, even if I've never been a particular fan of Burns. Unlike some of the NTS's other involvements - my particular bugbear is Newhailes. 
 
Incidentally, at a recent NTS members'centres conference I attended recently one interesting statistic that was mentioned is that something like 35 to 40% (if my recollection is accurate) of NTS members are actually resident in England - I knew there was a significant percentage, but I was staggered when I heard this figure mentioned; there are also a fair few who reside, for example, in the US and I understand that fundraising efforts there have becopme particularly important in recent years.

21 January 2005, 13:59:12 GMT
– Like – Reply





Andrew Duffin
It's astonishing that with all the £££ the South Ayrshire cooncillors help themselves to every year, they can't even keep a thatched cottage in good order. 
 
No belay that, what am I thinking, it's not astonishing at all. It's what you expect from the State.  
 
Perhaps we should turn the management of the Centrum over the National Trust too.

21 January 2005, 12:20:09 GMT