Sunday 1 April 2007

Wake up, Gordon!

By 9.30 this morning I'd completed the accounts for my company for the period February 2006 to March 2007.

I changed my year-end at Companies House from January to March a few months ago but I can't actually send my Corporation Tax form in yet because I'm still waiting to hear if the taxman will accept accounts for a 14 month period. They wouldn't tell me over the phone and haven't replied to my letter of 9th March.

Government efficiency. Who can beat it?

1 comment:

David Farrer said...

Comments made on previous template:

David Farrer
Thanks. All is now sorted.

7 April 2007, 17:36:21 GMT+01:00
– Like – Reply

If you want to see real bureaucracy, come over here.

6 April 2007, 14:00:02 GMT+01:00
– Like – Reply

Fergus Robinson
As a boring accountant, I'll give you some free advice (but remember - if I'm wrong, you can't sue me unless you pay me!!) 
The taxman will accept accounts fourteen months. However, he will only accept a Corporation Tax Return (CT600 - official form) covering a maximum of 12 months. You will therefore need to complete one for 1 Feb - 31 Jan and one for 1 Feb - 31 March. 
Speak to an accountant, not the taxman, if you need real help!!

5 April 2007, 14:45:22 GMT+01:00
– Like – Reply

David Farrer
The company was originally set up in January 1996 and had a January year-end.  
Changing the year-end to 31st March brings it into line with the PAYE reporting requirements. Also, it removes any need to split the profits between tax years that might have different corporation tax rates.

1 April 2007, 12:14:39 GMT+01:00
– Like – Reply

Bill (Scotland)
If I may be permitted to ask, why January before and why March now? Both are unorthodox accounting periods, or is there something I'm missing, maybe to do with your specific line of business?

1 April 2007, 11:53:13 GMT+01:00