Sunday 8 January 2006

What am I?

Yet another of these tests. They're certainly a big improvement on the conventional left/right axis, which is completely useless for describing those of us who are libertarians. But this one still hasn't got it quite right and I suspect that's why I have been categorised as more of a capitalist than a libertarian.

For example, one proposition is this:

The fact that many people starve to death is unfortunate but unavoidable.
I am meant to agree or disagree. But I don't accept the question! I believe that starvation is both unfortunate and avoidable. Simply introduce free markets and property rights.

Then, what about this:

We need stronger laws for protecting the environment.
We do. But the laws required are the same as those needed to avoid starvation - free markets and property rights. Not probably what the quizmaster had in mind.

Then we get:

Employees should have the right to go on strike without the risk of being permanently replaced.
Yes or No? It depends on what their contract says.

But here's my result:

You are a

Social Liberal
(61% permissive)

and an...

Economic Conservative
(88% permissive)

You are best described as a:

Capitalist




Link: The Politics Test on Ok Cupid
Also: The OkCupid Dating Persona Test

1 comment:

David Farrer said...

Comments made on previous template:

David Farrer
Erik

No libertarian party here, nor in the rest of the UK. The blog has links to the David Hume Institute, the Tuesday Club and the Policy Institute, all of which are somewhat libertarian and are in Scotland.
29 January 2006, 19:57:43 GMT – Like – Reply

Erik
I salute you for yopur efforts on behalf of libertarian ideals in Scotland. Curious, does Scotland have a libertarian type party? Or are there any libertarian/objectivist groups or organizations in Scotland? I've always been fascinated with Scotland, and was doing a google search of "libertarian and scotland" when I found your website from an ISIL link.
29 January 2006, 19:31:52 GMT – Like – Reply

David Farrer
Erik: Not too many of us.
28 January 2006, 06:01:31 GMT – Like – Reply

Erik
So, are there a lot of libertarian minded people in Scotland?
28 January 2006, 02:22:58 GMT – Like – Reply

Ken Irvine
91% for economic and social. It called me an anarchist.
23 January 2006, 14:30:11 GMT – Like – Reply

Neil Craig
Social liberal 65, economic conservative 68%
= libertarian.

& I don't think we should treat the French as enemies just because they don't do as we say (I don't think I would if I was American either)
11 January 2006, 14:06:15 GMT – Like – Reply

steves
some questions I had no interest in but just scrapped into the libertarian as opposed to capitalist section
9 January 2006, 22:26:08 GMT – Like – Reply

Andrew Ian Dodge
Me too.
9 January 2006, 11:30:29 GMT – Like – Reply

Milo
I had similar objections to you, but my answers put me in the libertarian section.
9 January 2006, 10:36:18 GMT