Sunday 5 August 2007

Just asking...

During my morning trawl through Bloglines I came across this post from Dizzy:
...when she emailed the recruiters for the Environment Agency and asked, "Am I correct in assuming that as I am English (White) I need not apply as the preference is for the minorities you have listed, or can I apply anyway?" the reply she received from the recruitment officer, Bola Odusi, said,

"Thank you for your enquiry unfortunately the traineeship opportunity in [sic] targeted towards the ethnic minority group to address their under representations in the professions under the Race Relations Act amended 2000."

In other words, minority status trumps ability if you want to join the Environment Agency. Who needs abilities? Hardly even newsworthy today though.

But then I read another of Dizzy's posts:

Government laboratory to blame for foot and mouth outbreak?
I can't help thinking that there might just be a connection between these stories...

1 comment:

David Farrer said...

Comments made on previous template:

David Farrer
Could be, Dave

12 August 2007, 08:49:27 GMT+01:00
– Like – Reply





dave fordwych
You may recall a few months ago John Reid admitting that the Home Office was "not fit for purpose"after a seemingly endless series of cock-ups. 
 
You may also recall the report that the Home Office ,set a target to ensure that 25% of its workforce was from ethnic minorities by 2009,had exceeded that target by 2004 and by 2006 had 38% of head office staff from ethnic minorities. 
 
Another connection perhaps?

10 August 2007, 21:07:33 GMT+01:00
– Like – Reply





James Higham
What I really meant to say was that there is a clear case of discrimination here and it can be taken to the now defunct race relations board.

5 August 2007, 16:50:08 GMT+01:00
– Like – Reply





James Higham
Strange - I left a comment a few moments ago. I see this foot and mouth thing as a dry run for the real "terrorist" bio warfare thingy which Broony's organized.

5 August 2007, 16:48:45 GMT+01:00